Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fear

I received a phone call today from a friend in Idaho. He told me that he showed Butterflies to his family, and they loved it. He said they also showed it to his niece who has been feeling nervous about school. I hope it may have helped a little. Sometimes, even if you can't seem to conquer a fear, it's nice just to identify with someone else.

When I was a kid I used to get so nervous and sick to my stomach about school. The worst was in 6th grade gym class. There was a period when we did swimming, and for some reason it was absolutely terrible for me. I'm sure I could get all analytical here, but all that matters is that I hated, feared, and dreaded it. I would go to bed at night worrying myself sick about the fact that I had to go to gym class the next day. And then I would spend the hour in Math class practically nauseous over the fact that I had to go swimming next. And then it would be over, and I would finish the day and go to bed worrying again.

Even though I look back and understand what a small thing it was, it doesn't matter--comparatively speaking there is nothing in my life right now that makes me as scared and worried as some things did back then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Butterflies was about fear, yes. But it also was about the glitter, flash, and noisy part in the classroom of life. And how refreshing it is to see the beauty and mystery of the peaceful creations around us and in ourselves. Thanks, for all the work to make Butterflies.

bRYEnd_of_the_schtick said...

(^ might be interesting to share some things with you if you care to contact me:

(^> prosser